By now many have watched the video of brother Rolando Jon Dizon, another “former” Minister of the Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ). His name was read in the Worship Services worldwide, from Australia to New York – Expelled. And as usual, the standard instructions accompany the expulsion; “do not talk to them. Do not approach them. They may be armed and dangerous.” Oh wait, that’s from the Cops TV show. Well, regardless of the instructions, we all know what this means, “battle stations” once again in the Central office. Even though brother Dizon emphasised that he was NOT in cahoots with Mr. Samson, to the Administration, it is still “Red Alert!”. They feel this is another attack and they must do everything they can to control the damage, so that no one will be “influenced” by the newest “enemy”.
How to do Damage Control (Central style):
1. Inform everyone to not believe them because they are expelled and there are all liars.
2. Inform their family or next of kin that they should not show any form of love to the expelled relatives.
3. Check for sympathisers. Look for anyone crying while the circular is being read.
4. Counter Attack. They will send out their attack dogs; usually Brother Joel San Pedro for English and Brother Marlex Cantor for Tagalog, with ground support from the Edsa Rally star Brother Arnel Tumanan.
5. Find as many photos as possible of the expelled. Edit and mock. If they have videos, find the most unflattering moment and capture it. Even better for mocking. In extreme cases, publish in the newspapers. (courtesy of H-Activ group)
6. Insult the hell out of them. This is usually started by one of the aforementioned Ministers, or trying hard to be relevant, brother Jethro Samson. There is also the Faceless MyINCDefenderStory guy. And of course, the young and the clueless STF. They will throw out some random information and the little piranhas will join the attack with very abusive language. Here are some examples already! My, they are diligent.
(NOTE: Contents contain strong language. Parental Guidance is advised):
These things are done for a couple of reasons.
1. It sends a message to all the other Ministers and brethren that if you even THINK about doing this, this is exactly what we will do to you. We will HUMILIATE you and your family to death. Or till Lord Jesus comes and takes us ‘holy ones’ with Him
2. Once you are expelled, every syllable that comes out of your mouth are AUTOMATICALLY LIES LIES and LIES. So brethren should not even LISTEN TO or THINK about what the expelled are trying to say.
What is a bit embarrassing is that brethren who actually think about these things carefully are well aware that this is now standard operating procedure. Once there are those who speak up, some of these Ministers will post really harsh things, share vile, edited photos and then their followers will echo their tune. I say it’s a bit embarrassing because it’s not just members of the Church who see these actions and reactions. People all over the world see how ‘members‘ of the Iglesia Ni Cristo act towards former members. It is getting to the point that brethren are just keeping silent about what the Administration and other Ministers are doing. Brethren now have to treat the Administration’s actions like one of those relatives we’re embarrassed about. It’s like your drunk uncle Jun who comes to the party singing too loud on karaoke, uttering foul language and you eventually have to say something when they start molesting your guests. That kind of embarrassment.
If the Administration feels they have to expel certain people, that’s on them. But there has to be a better way of dealing with them because the reflection on the Church…. is not looking very good.
What did Dizon actually say? Leave the family alone. They have suffered enough. Do all the INC members disagree? Do we want them to suffer some more? Is that our goal? Does the Church enjoy abusing people?
I remember one of the points of the Ministers; he said, if there is any corruption in the Church, should we not leave it to God to take action? Then I ask the same thing; if there are those who are already expelled, should we not leave it now to God to take action on them? Why the continued humiliation and vilification? Is that the role of the brethren? Why do the Ministers encourage such abuse? Is that what you want to teach the Church? Is the Administration so afraid of the “Defenders” that they have to take such desperate measures to belittle them? I mean we never did this to the Pope, Billy Graham or Joel Osteen.
Lastly, if these things are happening, I’m sure some church members have to be wondering WHY this is happening. This is not some zombie apocalypse. There is no mutant virus spreading and infecting the brains of the brethren and making them suddenly turn. It simply means more people are seeing some things and they are not being answered. This is what is truly spreading. So instead of bashing and harassing the new “enemies” with offensive photos and accusations, can we look in the mirror for a moment? Can we ask ourselves, are we proud to say this is how we “protect” our beloved Church? Are we happy to say that this is how the Iglesia Ni Cristo behave when we feel we are being persecuted? Then you’d better hope your relative is not next.
I tried to make this post a bit lighter with humour, but bottom line, it’s a Sad day. I feel sad for another family lost. I feel sad for the harshness of brethren. The saddest part? All this has EVM’s stamp of approval.